KK&O is an agency specialising in PR, Content Marketing & Branding for medium to large & enterprise businesses around Australia.
The agency has been operating for less than 12 months and had a squarespace website launched which acted as an online business card and recent project portfolio for potential clients to reference. The website was built without SEO in mind and no real effort to date had been invested in online marketing.
KK&O were looking to drive more traffic for ‘PR Agency’ related search queries in order to generate more leads for this service.
This case study outlines the requirements of the client and the strategies used to obtain page 1 rankings and increase traffic by 68% within 30 days.
As the website and the business itself were fairly new, the clients online persona and traffic to the website were fairly limited. Despite this, KK&O were looking to achieve any quick wins where possible and increase visibility in the search engines in order to generate more leads.
The content on the website itself was also fairly limited. Most of what was displayed related to recent projects or the team, with very little describing their service offering.
After performing a full website and analytics audit i’d established that the traffic loss was due to a change in URL structure from the previous
site…The developer had not setup redirects to the new pages causing a huge lift in 404 errors for organic traffic users, we set to work creating a
map of the old URL’s and put redirects in place to point to the new pages.
Due to the age of the business and website it had accumulated a solid amount of authority. The majority of work required would be leveraging
this authority and powering up the websites internal pages with on page optimisation techniques and improved site architecture.
Using the data found in Google’s webmaster tools I was able to find keywords the site was already indexed for. After running the data through a range of SEO tools I was able to isolate which of these had the most potential in terms of search volume, competition and conversion rate and could be considered a quick win to increase traffic with a few tweaks. Most of these keywords were at the product level which generally show a better rate of conversion and will directly help improve revenue over time.
The next step was to perform research on brand related keywords that we could use whilst creating new content for product brand pages on the website. During the first 2 months I had focused on 3-4 brands that had shown excellent conversion rates for organic traffic in Google Analytics with the main focus being the new brand. Once the brand pages were updated with the improved content it was a matter of improving the site architecture and interlinking brand & product pages to help link juice flow down from the homepage to the product level.
After performing a full website and analytics audit i’d established that the website was in need a ground up campaign which consists of technical optimisation (speed, sitemap, error fixing) as well as on page optimisation (content, keywords, schema & meta) amongst other things.
Due to the young age of the website it had very little domain authority so the immediate task was to establish exactly how many links were required in order to achieve a top 3 position for their primary keyword “pr agency gold coast”.
I did this by performing a link gap analysis, comparing the client site with the top 3 competitors for the primary keyword. We established that the site required roughly 14 new links of various grades to help match the average link profile of the competitors.
As this campaign had a low budget we established a plan to build out these links over a 6 month period.
Using public data available from Ahrefs.com, I researched new secondary keywords and filtered those down to the one’s which had the most potential in terms of search volume & competition, and could be considered a quick win to increase traffic with a few tweaks.
Most of these keywords included the word ‘agency’ which generally would show a better rate of conversion and would increase the likeliness of receiving a lead.
The next step was to build out content for each of the new service pages targeting public relations, brand & content in order to improve relevancy and indexing for new keywords which we would target down the track. The client assisted with writing the majority of the content which would be optimised in the coming months.
After 28 Days of running the campaign, we achieved the outcomes below.
© 2023 by Aaron Knight. All rights reserved.